- My paper avo >I and we also.
- I’ve utilized the voice that is active feasible.
- We have defined specific terms that may be unknown to visitors.
- I have tried personally clear, simple language as much as possible and avoided unnecessary jargon.
- My paper states my standpoint utilizing a balanced tone—neither too indecisive nor too powerful.
along with checking the points noted on Checklist 12.3, review your paper to ensure your language is exact, conveys no connotations that are unintended and it is without any biases. Here are a few of this true points to check on for:
- Vague or imprecise terms
- Repetition of the identical expressions (“Smith states…, Jones states…”) to introduce quoted and material that is paraphrasedFor the full range of strong verbs to utilize with in-text citations, see Chapter 13 “APA and MLA Documentation and Formatting”.)
- Exclusive usage of masculine pronouns or awkward utilization of he or she
- Usage of language with negative connotations, such as for instance haughty or r >
Utilizing plural nouns and pronouns or recasting a phrase will allow you to keep your language sex basic while avoiding awkwardness. Look at the examples that are following.
- Gender-biased: whenever an author cites a supply within the body of their paper, he must list it on their sources web web page.
- Awkward: When a journalist cites a supply into the physical human anatomy of his / her paper, she or he must record it on his / her sources web web web page.
- Enhanced: Writers must record any sources cited in the physical human anatomy of the paper regarding the recommendations web web page.
Maintaining Your Design Consistent
While you revise your paper, make fully sure your design is consistent throughout. Search for circumstances the place where an expressed term, expression, or phrase simply will not appear to fit along with the rest regarding the writing. Continue lendo “Observe that word choice is definitely a specially important factor of design”